February 12, 2026

Islamists desecrate chapel in the Philippines

Staff writers
More
Related
Min read
share

Cardinal Orlando Quevedo of Cotabato has condemned “in the strongest terms possible” the reported desecration of a Catholic chapel by terrorist gunmen in the southern Philippines.

The incident, in the village of Malagakit, occurred when about 300 gunmen of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, known as Biff, attacked Pig-cawayan town, resulting in the displacement of hundreds of residents.

The Biff, a breakaway group of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front that has signed a peace deal with the government, has pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group.

Chief Inspector Reylan Mamon, Pigcawayan police chief, said the gunmen destroyed religious images inside the chapel.

“The crucifix and images of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Christ were destroyed while the sacred hosts were thrown all over the floor,” Mamon told ucanews.com.

Cardinal Quevedo described the chapel’s desecration as “wicked”.

“Such acts are similar to the desecration of a mosque and the sacred Koran by non-Muslims. Both desecrations are gravely sinful,” he said. The cardinal challenged Biff leaders to punish its men who violated the chapel.

“If the Biff wants to have an image as a respecter of all religions, it must punish its members who perpetrated the odious desecration and educate all its members in strictly respecting other religions,” he said.

Cardinal Quevedo called on Catholics in Pigcawayan to restore the sacredness of their chapel.

Last month, terrorist gunmen also desecrated St Mary Cathedral in Marawi, about 95 miles from Cotabato. The siege in Marawi entered its second month last week with government forces retaking several areas of the city occupied by the gunmen.

On Monday the military said abducted priest Fr Teresito “Chito” Suganob had been seen alive. The priest was kidnapped along with more than a dozen Catholics in the first wave of fighting in the city.


Archbishop: resist fake news

The head of the Philippine bishops’ conference warned the faithful against “fake news” and “alternative facts”.

In a pastoral letter posted last week, Archbishop Socrates Villegas of Lingayen-Dagupan said: “Christians cannot be part of falsehood, deceit and lies.” He said misinformation would have “disastrous long-term consequences”.

Cardinal Orlando Quevedo of Cotabato has condemned “in the strongest terms possible” the reported desecration of a Catholic chapel by terrorist gunmen in the southern Philippines.

The incident, in the village of Malagakit, occurred when about 300 gunmen of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, known as Biff, attacked Pig-cawayan town, resulting in the displacement of hundreds of residents.

The Biff, a breakaway group of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front that has signed a peace deal with the government, has pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group.

Chief Inspector Reylan Mamon, Pigcawayan police chief, said the gunmen destroyed religious images inside the chapel.

“The crucifix and images of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Christ were destroyed while the sacred hosts were thrown all over the floor,” Mamon told ucanews.com.

Cardinal Quevedo described the chapel’s desecration as “wicked”.

“Such acts are similar to the desecration of a mosque and the sacred Koran by non-Muslims. Both desecrations are gravely sinful,” he said. The cardinal challenged Biff leaders to punish its men who violated the chapel.

“If the Biff wants to have an image as a respecter of all religions, it must punish its members who perpetrated the odious desecration and educate all its members in strictly respecting other religions,” he said.

Cardinal Quevedo called on Catholics in Pigcawayan to restore the sacredness of their chapel.

Last month, terrorist gunmen also desecrated St Mary Cathedral in Marawi, about 95 miles from Cotabato. The siege in Marawi entered its second month last week with government forces retaking several areas of the city occupied by the gunmen.

On Monday the military said abducted priest Fr Teresito “Chito” Suganob had been seen alive. The priest was kidnapped along with more than a dozen Catholics in the first wave of fighting in the city.


Archbishop: resist fake news

The head of the Philippine bishops’ conference warned the faithful against “fake news” and “alternative facts”.

In a pastoral letter posted last week, Archbishop Socrates Villegas of Lingayen-Dagupan said: “Christians cannot be part of falsehood, deceit and lies.” He said misinformation would have “disastrous long-term consequences”.

subscribe to
the catholic herald

Continue reading your article with a subscription.
Read 5 articles with our free plan.
Subscribe

subscribe to the catholic herald today

Our best content is exclusively available to our subscribers. Subscribe today and gain instant access to expert analysis, in-depth articles, and thought-provoking insights—anytime, anywhere. Don’t miss out on the conversations that matter most.
Subscribe