May 21, 2026

New £92 million repair fund may help historic Catholic churches

The Catholic Herald
More
Related
Min read
share

The Government has opened a new £92 million programme to support repairs to churches, chapels, mosques, synagogues and other historic places of worship across England, in one of the largest heritage interventions for the sector in recent years.

The Places of Worship Renewal Fund, announced in January, will distribute £23 million annually over four years. Funded by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport and administered by Historic England, the programme is intended to support urgent repairs and improvements to listed places of worship that remain active religious buildings.

Grants ranging from £10,000 to £1 million will be available through three funding bands covering small, medium and large projects. Ministers say priority will be given to buildings in areas of high deprivation and to projects demonstrating wider community benefit.

Listed places of worship of any denomination or faith may apply, provided they remain in active use and hold at least six services a year. Applicants must also show the proposed works are necessary and achievable.

The announcement follows growing concern over the condition of England’s religious heritage. Thousands of historic churches and chapels face rising repair costs, shrinking congregations and mounting pressure from energy bills, insurance costs and specialist conservation work.

Nearly half of Grade I listed buildings are churches, and around a quarter of the almost 3,000 Catholic churches in England and Wales have the protection of heritage listing. The National Churches Trust has repeatedly warned that many congregations are struggling to fund even basic repairs to roofs, masonry and heating systems. The charity argues that church buildings continue to provide substantial social value through volunteering, tourism and community activity, particularly in smaller towns and villages.

Pressure on historic places of worship intensified after uncertainty surrounding the future of the Listed Places of Worship Grant Scheme, which refunded VAT on repairs to listed religious buildings. The scheme had long been regarded by churches and heritage groups as essential support for maintaining historic buildings. Last year, ministers announced the scheme would be extended for a further year, but with reduced funding and a cap on £25,000 per listed place of worship.

Unlike the earlier VAT rebate scheme, the new programme offers direct capital grants for repair projects. The Government says the four-year settlement will provide greater certainty for congregations planning major works.

Historic England said the grants were intended to keep places of worship “safe, open and in public use”. Groups including the Friends of Friendless Churches have also highlighted the growing number of historic churches at risk of closure or redundancy, particularly in rural areas where small congregations remain responsible for maintaining medieval buildings of national significance.

Many churches and chapels now serve functions extending well beyond worship, hosting foodbanks, warm spaces, concerts, youth groups and local events. In many communities – particularly in rural areas – they remain among the few historic public buildings still in regular use.

Applications to the fund will open through Historic England later this year.

Continue reading with a free account

Create a free account to read up to five articles each month
Create free account

You have # free articles remaining this month.

Subscribe to get unlimited access.
Sign up

subscribe to the catholic herald today

Our best content is exclusively available to our subscribers. Subscribe today and gain instant access to expert analysis, in-depth articles, and thought-provoking insights—anytime, anywhere. Don’t miss out on the conversations that matter most.
Subscribe