Ten Indian Catholics arrested after chasing Hindu activists who disrupted Mass have been released on bail after more than 100 days in custody.
Bishop Devprasad John Ganawa of Udaipur told EWTN that the community was “relieved” that the 10 men had been released following their imprisonment.
The Diocese of Udaipur said in a statement that it was “grateful” to the court for releasing the men on bail, stating that it was as a “great source of hope and consolation to the families who had endured serious anxiety, uncertainty, and distress during the prolonged period of detention”.
It said: “The Diocese continues to maintain that the constitutional rights of every citizen, including the freedom to profess, practice, and peacefully propagate one’s religion, must be respected and protected in accordance with the law.”
On the evening of May 1, a group of about 12 Hindu activists entered a church in the village of Kushalgarh Tehsil, Banswara district, during Mass and accused the faithful of engaging in religious conversion. In response, parishioners chased the activists out of the church.
The Bishops’ Conference of India said in a statement released following the attack: “Reports indicated panic among attendees after one individual was allegedly seen carrying a large knife. The men who entered the gathering later fled the scene, reportedly leaving behind a few motorcycles.”
The conference stated that police arrived “soon” after, but the parish priest, Fr Arvind Amliyar, alleged that the police action was “one sided” and that attempts to register a police complaint against the intruders were unsuccessful. Members of the parish were arrested and charged with conversion and attempted murder. 10 men in total were held in custody.
One of the parishioners detained by police was a retired school principal. However, none of the activists were charged.
The Rajasthan Prohibition of Unlawful Conversion of Religion Act, 2025 prohibits the attempted conversion of another person by a number of specified means, and extends culpability to those who assist anyone in conversion. Notably, the law places the burden of proof on the accused rather than the accuser.
Last year, two Religious sisters were arrested under the law, leading to condemnation from the bishops’ conference, which called the incident outrageous. The conference said it reaffirmed its commitment to constitutional rights and demanded “concrete steps” to ensure the rights of Religious sisters. The bishops’ conference has joined a number of Christian bodies in challenging the law, which took effect in 2025, in India’s supreme court.











