August 19, 2026

St Sabina parishioners rally in support of suspended priest

Christine Rousselle
More
Related
Min read
share

Parishioners at a Chicago parish have taken to protesting outside of the archdiocese’s cathedral and headquarters in support of their longtime parish priest, who they say has been unjustly suspended following an accusation of sexual misconduct.

Members of St Sabina Church, which is also known as the “Faith Community of Saint Sabina”, rallied outside Holy Name Cathedral in Chicago on Sunday, August 16, in support of Fr Michael Pfleger, and again on August 19 outside of the offices of the archdiocese.

In a statement published by the parish, parishioners laid blame on the Archdiocese of Chicago and Review Board for the delay in Fr Pfleger’s return to ministry.

“Father Pfleger’s continued absence due to the Archdiocese and the Review Board not making a decision is having a huge negative impact on the church, its members, and the surrounding communities,” said the statement. “This prolonged absence is causing irreparable damage to Fr Pfleger and The Faith Community of Saint Sabina.”

Fr Pfleger, 77, has been suspended from public ministry since July 11, pending an investigation into a claim of sexual misconduct from more than 30 years ago. St Sabina is a predominantly Black parish in Chicago known for its social and community outreach programmes. Fr Pfleger has served at the parish since 1981, and is currently listed as the “senior pastor” on the parish’s website.

The alleged abuse is said to have occurred at a school affiliated with St Sabina.

In a statement released on the St Sabina website in July, Fr Pfleger described the allegation as “an absolute lie” and said it was politically motivated.

“For the 51 years of my ministry I have been threatened, slandered and attacked,” he said. “I was suspended twice because of my calling out of racism and suspended for unfounded accusations.”

This newest allegation, he believes, “is another attempt and another attack by those who have sought to destroy me for years”.

Fr Pfleger said his background had been investigated from high school through his years in ministry, and that “all accusations were determined to be unfounded”.

The July allegation marks the fifth time since 2021 that Fr Pfleger has been accused of sexual misconduct involving a minor. The previous four allegations were investigated and found to be unsubstantiated.

Since his suspension, St Sabina has engaged in prayer services for Fr Pfleger, a letter-writing campaign to the archdiocese, and other public shows of support.

The Catholic Herald reached out to St Sabina Parish for additional comment.

Continue reading with a free account

Create a free account to read up to five articles each month
Create free account

You have # free articles remaining this month.

Subscribe to get unlimited access.
Sign up

subscribe to the catholic herald today

Our best content is exclusively available to our subscribers. Subscribe today and gain instant access to expert analysis, in-depth articles, and thought-provoking insights—anytime, anywhere. Don’t miss out on the conversations that matter most.
Subscribe