August 21, 2026

Bishop Nulty condemns ‘irresponsibility’ after fatal Irish crash

Corrie Douglas-Young
More
Related
Min read
share

Bishop Denis Nulty of Kildare and Leighlin has said he shares the “widespread revulsion, upset and anger” following a fatal crash involving a car driving on the wrong side of the road. The collision took place on the M9 motorway in County Kildare and killed five teenagers and injured a family of four on August 12.

Gardaí stated that the family of three sisters and their seven-year-old nephew who had been injured in the crash had been “travelling innocently when they were struck by a vehicle being driven the wrong way down the motorway”.

Alma and Niamh Kinsella had been seated in the front of the car and were critically injured. Their sister Ella Hendricken and their nephew were hospitalised in serious condition. The four were travelling to Dublin Airport for a flight to Britain to attend a family wedding.

Bishop Nulty said: “My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this deeply tragic and avoidable loss. The road ahead will be very tough for Alma, Niamh, Ella and their nephew Yemi, as they continue to cope with their injuries. The days ahead will be difficult for parents, families and loved ones as they lay their boys to rest.”

The Irish Times reported that the five deceased occupants of the second vehicle have been named locally as Kamil Pustkowski, Jack Kennedy, Jeremy O’Brien, Joe Carthy and Alex McCarthy. The publication stated that the BMW they had been travelling in during the crash was not registered to the deceased or their families but was not stolen, with it being believed to have been purchased earlier in the week.

The young men had been wearing balaclavas at the time of the collision. Gardaí believe that they were the same youths who had been reported as attempting to break into houses and cars hours before the incident.

The bishop stated that the incident was a “sharp reminder that all of us share an enormous responsibility when we sit behind a wheel”.

“We must never condone the irresponsibility of others nor glorify wild or undisciplined behaviour, as if it was fun or something to be shared on social media. All of us need to reflect on our behaviour and our serious responsibility to other road users. We must value and protect our own lives and the lives of others,” he said.

Bishop Nulty commended the Gardaí, emergency services and first responders who had been called to the scene, stating that they were in his prayers.

“I also commend the prayer vigil in St Clare’s Church, Graiguecullen, that will take place Friday at 6.30pm, the GoFundMe online fundraiser and the many ways in which our community is coming together in solidarity, compassion and support for the victims at this time,” he said.

“It is during times like this that the realisation around the fragility of life confronts us all.  As people of faith, we must always hold on to the gift of peace. May those recovering from their injuries and the families grieving at this time, know they are not alone and that the Lord is with them to comfort and strengthen them as they pass through this valley of tears.”

Continue reading with a free account

Create a free account to read up to five articles each month
Create free account

You have # free articles remaining this month.

Subscribe to get unlimited access.
Sign up

subscribe to the catholic herald today

Our best content is exclusively available to our subscribers. Subscribe today and gain instant access to expert analysis, in-depth articles, and thought-provoking insights—anytime, anywhere. Don’t miss out on the conversations that matter most.
Subscribe